January 19, 2007

John and Jane Blacknall, c.1625

Abingdon St Nicholas, Oxfordshire "Old Berkshire"

Word of caution on the colours in this monument - most likely repainted during the Victorian period. Can be noticed on the hoods.

From the Comments:

I have spent time in many english cathedrals and churches, and I would guess that this would date from around 1615, the clothing and construction style is identical to an effigy in Gloucester Cathedral of Thomas and Christian Machen A.D. 1614-1615.

Catherine

Update: Eric has been kind enough to look up the information on this one for me and says:

"I have consulted Pevsner. He says that John Blacknall died in 1625."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have spent time in many english cathedrals and churches, and I would guess that this would date from around 1615, the clothing and construction style is identical to an effigy in Gloucester Cathedral of Thomas and Christian Machen A.D. 1614-1615.

Catherine